September Sapphire Birthstone
Sapphires have been cherished for thousands of years for their color, durability, and luster! September’s birthstone symbolizes wisdom, loyalty and nobility.
Most think of the royal blue variety, but this gemstone can occur in all colors of the rainbow (except red, which is classified as a ruby). This gives September babies a full spectrum of options when choosing the shade that best represents them.
Here are some fun facts that we love:
- One of the world’s most famous blue sapphire engagement rings is the one worn by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, which previously belonged to the late Diana, Princess of Wales
- Sapphire comes in many colors, including the rare pinkish orange variety known as Padparadscha, meaning “lotus blossom”
- Long mineral inclusions that intersect can create the star effect when stones are cut as cabochons
- They are remarkably hard and measure 9 on the Mohs scale, second only to diamond
Care & Cleaning for Sapphires:
- Warm, soapy water is always safe
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are usually safe for untreated, heat-treated, and lattice diffusion treated stones
- Fracture-filled, cavity-filled, or dyed material should only be cleaned with a damp cloth
Sapphires make great gifts for anyone born in September or celebrating a 5th or 45th wedding anniversary. Whatever your reason for buying sapphire, you can’t go wrong with this brilliant gemstone!
1. Everyday staples laced with the beauty of blue sapphires! This perfectly paired set will make the perfect gift.
2. Sapphire and diamonds make the perfect pair – Layer up tennis bracelets for a stylish look heading into Fall!
3. Add a pop of color to any outfit! This sapphire and diamond ring is sure to make a statement
To learn more about sapphires – check out the AGS article found here.
April Diamond Birthstone
Happy birthday April ladies! Continuing on with our birthstone series, today we’re highlighting the diamond, the most prized gemstone of all!
Diamonds come in a variety of colors including yellow, red, pink, blue, and green. Generally speaking, the more saturated the color, the higher the value. Fancy-color diamonds are very desirable, but they’re more rare.
Some fun facts about this beautiful gemstone:
- Diamond is the only gem made of a single element – It’s typically about 99.95% carbon
- Over the centuries, diamond was thought to be an antidote to poison. It’s now the universal symbol of love!
- Whether you’re celebrating an April birthday or a 60th or 75th wedding anniversary, giving a diamond means giving a perfectly beautiful gift that will truly stand the test of time
Take a look at some of our top gifting ideas!
1. Bezel set diamond ring & pendant
2. Diamond heart friendship bracelet
3. Tiffany & Co diamond XO necklace from our Estate Collection
4. Yellow gold pear shape diamond ring
To learn more about this beautiful gemstone – check out the American Gem Society article found here.
Today we’re highlighting the February birthstone, amethyst. While amethyst is most commonly recognized to be a purple color, this gemstone can range from a light pinkish violet to a deep purple. The same stone can even have layers or color variants.
Here are some more fun facts about this gemstone:
- It’s often associated with peace, courage and stability
- English regalia were decorated with amethysts during the Middle Ages to symbolize royalty
- Amethyst jewelry has been found and dated as early as 2000 BC
- Use this gemstone to celebrate the 6th & 17th year of marriage
To learn more about this beautiful gemstone – check out the American Gem Society article found here.
GIFTS FOR GAL PALS
Galentine’s Day is an increasingly popular holiday where women celebrate their incredible friendships. What better way to show your gal pals how much you value their friendships than with an amazing Galentine’s Day gift.
Find the perfect Galentine’s Day gift for your BFF’s:
1. Friendship Jewelry for proud BFF’s – Alex And Ani Best Friends Bangle Set – $48 & Be Yourself Bangle – $38
2. ❤ Jewelry – PANDORA Two Hearts Ring – $45 & PANDORA Rose Two Hearts Ring – $60
3. Crown Jewelry – PANDORA Rose My Princess Ring – $80 & PANDORA Rose Timeless Elegance Earrings – $100
4. Keys to Friendship – Alex And Ani Key To Love Necklace – $38
Pantone has recently announced the 2018 Color of the Year – Ultra Violet. For those of you who have a passion for purple, this color trend is for you!
Ultra Violet is a blue-based purple that is rich like the night sky. It communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us toward the future.
We thought it was fitting to share our favorite jewelry pieces that show off this beautiful purple hue!
Are you feeling this year’s color? Visit one of our 10 Michaels Jewelers locations to see more gemstones that exhibit this Ultra Violet hue.
Its back! The Pandora FREE Leather Bracelet Event graced us just in time to complete our Summer wardrobe. Spend $100 or more* and receive a FREE bracelet of your choice! Featuring bright, beautiful colors including shades of blues and pinks as well as a variety of neutral colors that will match any outfit. Stop in to our Avon, Bristol, Danbury, Manchester , Meriden , Orange, Torrington, Westfarms or Waterbury Michaels Jewelers locations to check out this event, now through June 19th.
*Free leather bracelet (up to a $55 USD retail value). While supplies last at participating retailers. Bracelet selection may vary by store. Excludes gift card purchases. Charms sold separately.
It’s that time of year again! With family and friends traveling to visit for the holidays it seems that there will be quite a bit of preparation, a ton of cooking and of course, what may seem like endless cleaning to be done.
Here are a few tips on how to keep your jewelry clean and safe this holiday season:
- Take your jewelry off while baking and cooking. This is a must. Let’s face it, we’re all preparing delicious treats using lots of butter and oil and if you’re like me, the only way to mix properly is with your hands. Truth is, all of those oils will get stuck in the crevices of your jewelry which isn’t easy to get out and clouds your jewelry. Make sure to take off rings, watches and bracelets before preparing your dishes to ensure they’ll shine brighter than the Christmas lights strung on your tree.
- Consider leaving your valuables at home when traveling. Every time I leave for a trip, I gather all of my jewelry and anything valuable and store it in my safe. We have enough to worry about like catching flights, beating traffic and with the hustle and bustle of holiday traveling – sometimes I feel like a chicken with my head cut off. The last thing you want is to leave your precious ring in the restroom at the rest stop or have a bracelet fall off after going through the security line. TIP: After my fiance proposed, my mom bought me a faux version of my ring. I thought it was a strange gift but I’d rather make sure to leave my ring in a safe spot at home and rock my mock ring than ruin the holidays if anything were to happen to my real version.
- Make sure to remove jewelry before cleaning. We all want our house to sparkle before guests arrive so we bust out the vacuum, detergents, carpet cleaners – anything we can get our hands on to make the house look pristine. While all those cleaning supplies will loosen dirt and grime, they could do a number on your jewelry. To be on the safe side, store your jewelry in a safe spot while you get to work.
- Have your jewelry appraised. Despite being jolliest time of the year, we must face the facts, an FBI study found that more than 400,000 burglaries occur in the United States during the months of November and December each year (have you seen Home Alone?!). On top of storing your valuables, make sure that your have had all your jewelry recently appraised and added to your insurance plan (most policies require an appraisal). I use Jewelers Mutual who covers loss, theft, damage and mysterious disappearance. Its a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing that if the unthinkable happens, your jewelry is covered. TIP: Our certified appraiser* recommends to have your jewelry appraised every 3-5 years. The reason for this is — the market changes constantly especially for gold and diamonds – who knows, your jewelry could be worth more than when you originally purchased it!
- Have your jewelry checked and cleaned from a professional. No matter what home cleaning solution I use, there is nothing quite like getting your jewelry cleaned by a jeweler. Jewelers should be checking your jewelry before cleaning to make sure that there aren’t any loose stones or loose clasps. I am guilty of being rough with my jewelry – I wear my ring to the gym and am constantly catching it and banging it on any and everything. This will loosen the prongs and distort the shape of your jewelry. Stop by any ten Connecticut Michaels Jewelers locations and have one of our pros check out your jewelry to make sure they’ll shine bright this holiday season.
We hope these tips help give you peace of mind over the holidays and keep your diamonds sparkling!
*Our appraiser, Donald Walsh is an American Gem Society Certified Gemologist Appraiser.
Now that fall is officially upon us, it is time to pull out the boots, cozy up in your oversized sweater and overdose on all things pumpkin. With that, don’t forget about updating your accessories! Take a look at some of our favorite fall pieces to keep you fashionable while picking apples, finding the perfect pumpkin or taking a stroll to enjoy the foliage.
1. Michael Werdiger 14KYG Pave Diamond Ring with Roped Shank – Retail $1,195
2. Estate Piece – 18KY Blue & Green Enamel Bangle Bracelet – Retail $12,500
3. Alex and Ani Quill Feather Wrap Bangle – Retail $58
4. Charles Garnier Libby Pendant Sterling Silver Lattice Round Necklace- Retail $165
5. Mi Moneda Joya & Stud Moneda in Gold Plated Pendant – Retail $398 (for complete set as pictured)
6. Michael Kors Rose Gold Plated Watch – See store for pricing
7. Estate Piece – Platinum Green Emerald Cut 19CT Tourmaline & Diamond Ring – Retail $4,900