October Birthstone Highlight
Individuals born in October get to choose between two birthstones – opal and tourmaline! October’s birthstones offer a full spectrum of gems to suit anyone’s personal style.
Opal & Tourmaline overview:
- Opal’s kaleidoscopic play-of-color can suit many changing moods and tastes to make this gem appropriate for anyone
- Dozens of opal varieties exist, but only a few like Fire Opal & Boulder Opal are universally recognized
- Color is the key factor of opal quality. Dark backgrounds provide more contrast against vivid play-of-color, making black opal more highly valued than milky white varieties
- The most expensive tourmaline are the green to violet colors that are often called “electric” or “neon” by the trade
- Tourmaline is desirable because of its range of color options, and it’s hardness makes for very wearable jewelry
Caring for & cleaning these gemstones:
- The only safe way to clean opal is with warm, soapy water
- Opals are sensitive to heat or excessive dryness
- Warm, soapy water is the best method for cleaning tourmaline
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are not recommended
Gifting Ideas & Style Inspo
Opal makes a great gift for anyone born in October, but its array of colors makes this gem appropriate for anyone!
1. Perfectly paired 14K yellow gold opal jewelry set
2. Dainty 14K yellow gold opal ring
3. Shine bright in these opal and diamond halo studs
Learn more about these gemstones from the American Gem Society here!
September Sapphire Birthstone
Sapphires have been cherished for thousands of years for their color, durability, and luster! September’s birthstone symbolizes wisdom, loyalty and nobility.
Most think of the royal blue variety, but this gemstone can occur in all colors of the rainbow (except red, which is classified as a ruby). This gives September babies a full spectrum of options when choosing the shade that best represents them.
Here are some fun facts that we love:
- One of the world’s most famous blue sapphire engagement rings is the one worn by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, which previously belonged to the late Diana, Princess of Wales
- Sapphire comes in many colors, including the rare pinkish orange variety known as Padparadscha, meaning “lotus blossom”
- Long mineral inclusions that intersect can create the star effect when stones are cut as cabochons
- They are remarkably hard and measure 9 on the Mohs scale, second only to diamond
Care & Cleaning for Sapphires:
- Warm, soapy water is always safe
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are usually safe for untreated, heat-treated, and lattice diffusion treated stones
- Fracture-filled, cavity-filled, or dyed material should only be cleaned with a damp cloth
Sapphires make great gifts for anyone born in September or celebrating a 5th or 45th wedding anniversary. Whatever your reason for buying sapphire, you can’t go wrong with this brilliant gemstone!
1. Everyday staples laced with the beauty of blue sapphires! This perfectly paired set will make the perfect gift.
2. Sapphire and diamonds make the perfect pair – Layer up tennis bracelets for a stylish look heading into Fall!
3. Add a pop of color to any outfit! This sapphire and diamond ring is sure to make a statement
To learn more about sapphires – check out the AGS article found here.
We wanted to take the time to wish all November babies a very Happy Birthday. There are many reasons we love November:
– It kicks of the holiday season and is now socially acceptable to listen to Michael Buble’s Christmas album on repeat
– Starbucks will be releasing the highly anticipated new holiday latte, Chestnut Praline Latte
– We can pin all thing Thanksgiving and pray our tablescape emulates the perfectly coordinated settings (a girl can dream, right?)
But more importantly, we love November because we LOVE Citrine & Topaz. We wholeheartedly believe this was done so we can coordinate the beautiful stones with all of our fall styles.
Nancy G. from our Danbury store is showcasing one one of our favorite pieces:
So go ahead, treat yourself this year to something you deserve and wear your birthstones proudly!
Now that fall is officially upon us, it is time to pull out the boots, cozy up in your oversized sweater and overdose on all things pumpkin. With that, don’t forget about updating your accessories! Take a look at some of our favorite fall pieces to keep you fashionable while picking apples, finding the perfect pumpkin or taking a stroll to enjoy the foliage.
1. Michael Werdiger 14KYG Pave Diamond Ring with Roped Shank – Retail $1,195
2. Estate Piece – 18KY Blue & Green Enamel Bangle Bracelet – Retail $12,500
3. Alex and Ani Quill Feather Wrap Bangle – Retail $58
4. Charles Garnier Libby Pendant Sterling Silver Lattice Round Necklace- Retail $165
5. Mi Moneda Joya & Stud Moneda in Gold Plated Pendant – Retail $398 (for complete set as pictured)
6. Michael Kors Rose Gold Plated Watch – See store for pricing
7. Estate Piece – Platinum Green Emerald Cut 19CT Tourmaline & Diamond Ring – Retail $4,900