Tips to Restyle Your Outdated Jewelry
Do you have any outdated, broken jewelry or perhaps something that just isn’t your style? Transform your jewelry into something new with these restyling tips.
1. Add gemstones – By adding diamonds or colored gemstones you can turn your jewelry pieces into contemporary and chic designs.
2. Change the form – Earrings can be made into pendants, and gemstones from outdated rings can be incorporated into a new design to create a contemporary necklace or bracelet.
3. Create multiple pieces – Re-design outdated jewelry pieces to create heirlooms for your family members. For example, a pair of earrings can become two pendants and can be given as a meaningful gift to children and grandchildren.
4. Change the primary metal – The original materials from your heirloom can be incorporated into a new design alongside modern materials used in fashion-forward design, such as enamel and titanium.
Its time to clean out your jewelry box! Transform your jewelry into something new during Michaels Jewelers’ One-Day Only Jewelry Styling & Redesign Event! Our specialists will work with you to create the perfect jewelry design and our skilled craftsman will make your new design come to life while you wait!
Check out the full event schedule here.
Whether you have just recently got engaged, received something sparkly over the holidays or just want to keep your existing jewelry shining bright, take a look at our tips on how to best care for your jewelry:
Jewelry boxes can collect dust and can quickly become disorganized – take a moment to wipe down your jewelry box and use a lint roller to roll up and pesky dust particles.
- Organize your jewelry by category and make sure to store properly – remember, anything silver should be stored in an anti-tarnish pouch! We recommend storing costume jewelry separately from fine jewelry, this can prevent additional tarnishing and helps you remember what’s fine jewelry vs costume
- Find any jewelry that may not fit your style anymore? We offer restyling – let us transform your outdated jewelry into something new and modern. Another option is to bring your jewelry to be evaluated by our buyers – who knows what some of your jewelry can be worth! We offer trades or cash for jewelry, scrap gold and more!
When was the last time you looked closely at your jewelry? There may be some wear or damage to your precious jewelry that can easily be fixed.
Take your precious goods to any Michaels Jewelers location
to have it inspected to make sure all prongs are tight and clasps are working properly to avoid losing stones or your jewelry all together. There’s nothing worse than losing a cherished piece of jewelry.
Does your white gold look dull? We offer Rhodium plating that will make your jewelry look brand new! Is your watch not running? We can replace batteries on the spot! Michaels Jewelers is a full service jeweler who can take care of any jewelry repair and restoration needs.
There are 3 easy ways to clean your jewelry:
1. Bring your jewelry to any Michaels Jewelers location
for a complimentary cleaning & inspection. Professional cleaning systems are far superior than any home treatment plus you get the benefit of having a professional inspect your jewelry for any issues (see above), plus its FREE!
2. Invest in an at-home cleaning system. Our Michaels Jewelers Care Kit has all the essentials needed to make your jewelry truly shine. At a $14.95 price point – receive an all purpose cleaner, 4 ply polishing cloth, anti-tarnish pouch and anti-tarnish strips. Michaels Jewelers New Cleaning Solutions can be used on any jewelry – from silver to semi-precious and porous gemstones. If you do not have a Michaels Jewelers Care Kit or New Cleaning Solution, be careful and read the label on any jewelry cleaner to make sure that it is compatible with your jewelry
3. For For an easy DIY cleaning, soak your ring for a few minutes in mild dish soap and warm water, then scrub carefully with a soft toothbrush
Click below to see how our care kit works!
Michaels Jewelers’ Care Kit
If you ever have any questions related to your jewelry care, reach out to our professional jewelers who would be happy to help!
Why do you need your jewelry appraised and why do you need it re-appraised every 7 years?
- Insurance. The most important reason for appraisals is for insurance purposes. Jewelry not only has a sentimental value but a monetary value and in many cases, a significant value. Because of this, you want to protect your jewelry and investment. While no one likes to talk about it, there is the possibility that your jewelry may get lost, stolen or damaged and when filing a claim with your insurance company, they will rely on the value of the piece based on your appraisal. While anyone can appraise an item, it is important to find a reputable jeweler who has been accredited by the American Gem Society (AGS) to ensure you are trusting your valuables with a professional who has been meticulously trained and certified to appraise jewelry properly. The best way to determine this is to visit the AGS website and find an appraiser or look for CGA (Certified Gemologist Appraiser) after their name. Another point to note – some insurance companies do not accept appraisals that are 2 years or older. Make sure you ask your insurance company on their policy and how frequently they require updated appraisal documents. Michaels recommends you have your jewelry appraised every 3-5 years.
- The value of your jewelry can change. The precious metal market is just like the stock market – the value changes on a daily basis, sometimes slightly and sometimes drastically. The value of your jewelry can, in some cases, increase over time!
- Restyling or any change to your jewelry. After time, we may want to change up our jewelry, whether taking the center stone of a ring and making it into a pendant or perhaps changing up the setting to have a more modern look. Any time that you make an adjustment to your jewelry, you should have it re-appraised to the proper value of the item
- You can save 50%! Michaels Jewelers has an Appraisal Program, where if you have your piece appraised with us, you can have it re-appraised within 7 years at 50% off the cost of the appraisal
- Detect Damage – If it has been a while since your jewelry has been appraised or inspected by a professional, you may not realize that there has been damage to your jewelry. Aside from having your jewelry appraised every few years, visit a reputable, certified jeweler to inspect and professionally clean your jewelry at least every 6 months. You may not realize it, but at times prongs can shift in jewelry or cracks can form in the stones. By detecting the damage early on, they can be repaired before something worse happens – such as a stone falling out, in which you would need to go through your insurance. Inspection and cleaning is complimentary at any Michaels Jewelers location – so don’t wait!