Peter and Lisa met through a mutual friend in April 2014. They started dating shortly after and both knew from our first date that something special was happening between them. A few months into dating, we planned to have a baby – and now have a beautiful little girl.
It’ll be 3 years of being together this May. Peter recently proposed during dinner at the restaurant where we met. He reached for his pocket, pulled out a box, placed it on the table in front of Lisa, and asked her to marry him. Peter stopped in our Danbury store to pick out the perfect ring for Lisa – a classic 3 stone Treasure Chest engagement ring. Now they are happily engaged and really excited about planning our wedding!
For 130 years, we have been fortunate to hear the stories of our clients. From overcoming life’s obstacles to finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. We’re extremely excited to be able to share some of these stories with the world. Start your story today at Michaels Jewelers.
A few years ago, Andrew helped his brother pick out a ring from Michaels and knew he would come back when he found the right person. When Andrew met Jess while they were working together, they immediately connected. She soon found another opportunity working for another organization but they stayed in touch and the rest is history. After four years of dating, Andrew decided she was the one for him. Andrew picked out a beautiful cushion cut diamond set in a micro pave setting. With a big anniversary trip planned – our team expedited the process to make sure he had the ring in time and was hand delivered the night before they left. We were so thrilled to hear that she loved the ring and said “Yes!” when he asked on top of the Poconos Mountain. To hear their story, watch the video below:
Why do you need your jewelry appraised and why do you need it re-appraised every 7 years?
- Insurance. The most important reason for appraisals is for insurance purposes. Jewelry not only has a sentimental value but a monetary value and in many cases, a significant value. Because of this, you want to protect your jewelry and investment. While no one likes to talk about it, there is the possibility that your jewelry may get lost, stolen or damaged and when filing a claim with your insurance company, they will rely on the value of the piece based on your appraisal. While anyone can appraise an item, it is important to find a reputable jeweler who has been accredited by the American Gem Society (AGS) to ensure you are trusting your valuables with a professional who has been meticulously trained and certified to appraise jewelry properly. The best way to determine this is to visit the AGS website and find an appraiser or look for CGA (Certified Gemologist Appraiser) after their name. Another point to note – some insurance companies do not accept appraisals that are 2 years or older. Make sure you ask your insurance company on their policy and how frequently they require updated appraisal documents. Michaels recommends you have your jewelry appraised every 3-5 years.
- The value of your jewelry can change. The precious metal market is just like the stock market – the value changes on a daily basis, sometimes slightly and sometimes drastically. The value of your jewelry can, in some cases, increase over time!
- Restyling or any change to your jewelry. After time, we may want to change up our jewelry, whether taking the center stone of a ring and making it into a pendant or perhaps changing up the setting to have a more modern look. Any time that you make an adjustment to your jewelry, you should have it re-appraised to the proper value of the item
- You can save 50%! Michaels Jewelers has an Appraisal Program, where if you have your piece appraised with us, you can have it re-appraised within 7 years at 50% off the cost of the appraisal
- Detect Damage – If it has been a while since your jewelry has been appraised or inspected by a professional, you may not realize that there has been damage to your jewelry. Aside from having your jewelry appraised every few years, visit a reputable, certified jeweler to inspect and professionally clean your jewelry at least every 6 months. You may not realize it, but at times prongs can shift in jewelry or cracks can form in the stones. By detecting the damage early on, they can be repaired before something worse happens – such as a stone falling out, in which you would need to go through your insurance. Inspection and cleaning is complimentary at any Michaels Jewelers location – so don’t wait!
FREE Ring with purchase of any two PANDORA Rings*
We all know that stackable rings are all the rage right now. From June 30th-July 6th, explore the preview event for the Pandora July Ring Event! With the purchase of any two Pandora rings, get one ring FREE! This offer includes all Pandora rings including the newest style from the Summer release.
Here are some of our favorite stackable styles:
2 X DROPLETS, DROPLETS ($75), 2 X POETIC DROPLET, CLEAR CZ, POETIC DROPLET, AQUA BLUE CRYSTAL ($180), 2 X INTERTWINED, ELEGANT SINCERITY ($115)
Visit any one of the locations below to shop this event:
OR visit our Pandora locations:
*Free ring must be of equal or lesser value to qualify. While supplies last at participating etailers. No substitutions. Ring selection may vary by store. Excludes gift card purchases. See store associates for more details
Did you know that only 5% of jewelers, designers and appraisers have met the American Gem Society standards? We are here to tell you what exactly is the American Gem Society (AGS) and why it is so important to find a jeweler who is AGS certified.
In 1934, Robert M. Shipley founded the AGS as a not-for-profit trade association comprised of retail jewelers, independent appraisers, suppliers, and selective industry members in the North America. The goal was to build an elite group dedicated to consumer protection, ethical business practices and the development of superior gemological skills and knowledge. The AGS was built with consumers in mind to protect them as well as their purchases by putting your trust into working with a consummate professional who adheres to the highest standards of the jewelry industry.
There are several titleholders which include:
- Registered Jewelers (RJ)- a title earned by those who have completed the required coursework and classroom study of diamonds & gemstones who also adhere to the AGS‘s Code of Ethics. This title but be renewed annual to increase knowledge and ethical practices
- Certified Gemologists (CG)- A Certified Gemologist has taken advanced studies in diamonds and colored gemstones. A CG also demonstrates mastery of diamond, gemstone, and precious metal testing procedures
- Certified Gemologist Appraisers (CGA)- This title is the most highly regarded among peers in the jewelry industry. Why? Because it certifies that the sales person can identify diamonds, gemstones, and jewelry and determine their value. This title requires advanced training and experience in determining the value of diamonds and gemstones
- Independent Certified Gemologist Appraisers (ICGA)– This title represents those individuals whose sole business is appraising. He or she does not purchase or sell diamonds, gemstones, or jewelry.To receive this certification, the appraiser has completed the requirements for RJ, CG, and CGA, plus has successfully completed an extensive course in personal property appraising. He or she must not only complete the annual re-certification exam, but also submit proof of continuing education in their field every five years
In order for a jeweler to become certified by the AGS, one must meet strict criteria that include:
- Have an exceptionally high level of gemological knowledge including successfully completing prescribed courses and classes in diamonds and colored gemstones
- Possess a reputation for unquestioned integrity and must conduct business to enhance the confidence of the public
- Demonstrate sincere interest in ethical business practices and exemplify this belief
- Be a retail jeweler, jewelry business supplier or independent appraisal business that has been established for at least two years with demonstrated financial stability
- All titleholders must be re-certified every year
In order to maintain membership, jewelers in the American Gem Society must agree to their Code of Ethics:
- Provide full disclosure of all facts pertaining to the products they sell
- Never intentionally deceive their employees, consumers, vendors, or business partners
- Compete fairly and never speak unprofessionally about their competitors. Likewise, encourage their colleagues in the jewelry industry to embrace these principals.
- Resolve any customer complaints relating to the sale of a product
- Not sell conflict diamonds. AGS jewelers must make every effort to fully comply with the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme and the World Diamond Council System of Warranties
- Continue their gemological and jewelry education, always improving their knowledge and keeping up with trends in jewelry and ethical business practices.
- Adhere to anti-money laundering (AML) program, which is designed to comply with the USA Patriot Act
Michaels has several Managers and Associates with titles of Registered Jewelers, Certified Gemologists and Certified Gemologist Appraisers. To find an AGS certified jeweler near you, click here.
*Many excerpts were derived from the AGS website
Its back! The Pandora FREE Leather Bracelet Event graced us just in time to complete our Summer wardrobe. Spend $100 or more* and receive a FREE bracelet of your choice! Featuring bright, beautiful colors including shades of blues and pinks as well as a variety of neutral colors that will match any outfit. Stop in to our Avon, Bristol, Danbury, Manchester , Meriden , Orange, Torrington, Westfarms or Waterbury Michaels Jewelers locations to check out this event, now through June 19th.
*Free leather bracelet (up to a $55 USD retail value). While supplies last at participating retailers. Bracelet selection may vary by store. Excludes gift card purchases. Charms sold separately.
One of a kind treasures with exceptional values!
Our Estate Collections spans centuries from Victorian Era pins to Mid-Century masterpieces. Explore some of the most unique pieces including Citrine & Ruby
14kt gold Retro Earrings, 18kt gold South Sea Pearl & Diamond Pendant, cameo pins and filigree diamond rings. Michaels Jewelers brings you the finest diamonds and gemstones at a fraction of the cost to manufacture today. We invite you to view our full collection during our Semi-Annual Estate Tour.
Tour dates are as follows:
|Mar 10 – Mar 13
|Mar 17 – Mar 20
|Mar 24 – Mar 26
|Mar 31 – April 3
|April 7 – April 10
|April 14 – April 17
|April 21 – April 24
|April 28 – May 1
|May 5 – May 8
|May 12 – May 15