September Sapphire Birthstone
Sapphires have been cherished for thousands of years for their color, durability, and luster! September’s birthstone symbolizes wisdom, loyalty and nobility.
Most think of the royal blue variety, but this gemstone can occur in all colors of the rainbow (except red, which is classified as a ruby). This gives September babies a full spectrum of options when choosing the shade that best represents them.
Here are some fun facts that we love:
- One of the world’s most famous blue sapphire engagement rings is the one worn by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, which previously belonged to the late Diana, Princess of Wales
- Sapphire comes in many colors, including the rare pinkish orange variety known as Padparadscha, meaning “lotus blossom”
- Long mineral inclusions that intersect can create the star effect when stones are cut as cabochons
- They are remarkably hard and measure 9 on the Mohs scale, second only to diamond
Care & Cleaning for Sapphires:
- Warm, soapy water is always safe
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are usually safe for untreated, heat-treated, and lattice diffusion treated stones
- Fracture-filled, cavity-filled, or dyed material should only be cleaned with a damp cloth
Sapphires make great gifts for anyone born in September or celebrating a 5th or 45th wedding anniversary. Whatever your reason for buying sapphire, you can’t go wrong with this brilliant gemstone!
1. Everyday staples laced with the beauty of blue sapphires! This perfectly paired set will make the perfect gift.
2. Sapphire and diamonds make the perfect pair – Layer up tennis bracelets for a stylish look heading into Fall!
3. Add a pop of color to any outfit! This sapphire and diamond ring is sure to make a statement
To learn more about sapphires – check out the AGS article found here.
Today we’re highlighting the February birthstone, amethyst. While amethyst is most commonly recognized to be a purple color, this gemstone can range from a light pinkish violet to a deep purple. The same stone can even have layers or color variants.
Here are some more fun facts about this gemstone:
- It’s often associated with peace, courage and stability
- English regalia were decorated with amethysts during the Middle Ages to symbolize royalty
- Amethyst jewelry has been found and dated as early as 2000 BC
- Use this gemstone to celebrate the 6th & 17th year of marriage
To learn more about this beautiful gemstone – check out the American Gem Society article found here.
Pantone has recently announced the 2018 Color of the Year – Ultra Violet. For those of you who have a passion for purple, this color trend is for you!
Ultra Violet is a blue-based purple that is rich like the night sky. It communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us toward the future.
We thought it was fitting to share our favorite jewelry pieces that show off this beautiful purple hue!
Are you feeling this year’s color? Visit one of our 10 Michaels Jewelers locations to see more gemstones that exhibit this Ultra Violet hue.
Still need a gift for that special someone? Not to worry! Let our specialists help find the perfect gift for everyone on your list.
A Gift that Sparkles
A Pop of Color
Diamond & Emerald Necklace
Diamond & Emerald Earrings
Diamond & Ruby Necklace
Diamond & Ruby Ring
Diamond & Sapphire Necklace
Diamond & Sapphire Ring
Diamond Friendship Bracelet
Topaz & Diamond Friendship Bracelet
Diamond Friendship Bracelet
We hope that these gift ideas help you find the perfect gift for that special someone in your life! Plus- We’re opening early and staying late, just for you! View our Holiday Hours here.
Its back! The Pandora FREE Leather Bracelet Event graced us just in time to complete our Summer wardrobe. Spend $100 or more* and receive a FREE bracelet of your choice! Featuring bright, beautiful colors including shades of blues and pinks as well as a variety of neutral colors that will match any outfit. Stop in to our Avon, Bristol, Danbury, Manchester , Meriden , Orange, Torrington, Westfarms or Waterbury Michaels Jewelers locations to check out this event, now through June 19th.
*Free leather bracelet (up to a $55 USD retail value). While supplies last at participating retailers. Bracelet selection may vary by store. Excludes gift card purchases. Charms sold separately.