Tips to Restyle Your Outdated Jewelry
Do you have any outdated, broken jewelry or perhaps something that just isn’t your style? Transform your jewelry into something new with these restyling tips.
1. Add gemstones – By adding diamonds or colored gemstones you can turn your jewelry pieces into contemporary and chic designs.
2. Change the form – Earrings can be made into pendants, and gemstones from outdated rings can be incorporated into a new design to create a contemporary necklace or bracelet.
3. Create multiple pieces – Re-design outdated jewelry pieces to create heirlooms for your family members. For example, a pair of earrings can become two pendants and can be given as a meaningful gift to children and grandchildren.
4. Change the primary metal – The original materials from your heirloom can be incorporated into a new design alongside modern materials used in fashion-forward design, such as enamel and titanium.
Its time to clean out your jewelry box! Transform your jewelry into something new during Michaels Jewelers’ One-Day Only Jewelry Styling & Redesign Event! Our specialists will work with you to create the perfect jewelry design and our skilled craftsman will make your new design come to life while you wait!
Check out the full event schedule here.
Why do you need your jewelry appraised and why do you need it re-appraised every 7 years?
- Insurance. The most important reason for appraisals is for insurance purposes. Jewelry not only has a sentimental value but a monetary value and in many cases, a significant value. Because of this, you want to protect your jewelry and investment. While no one likes to talk about it, there is the possibility that your jewelry may get lost, stolen or damaged and when filing a claim with your insurance company, they will rely on the value of the piece based on your appraisal. While anyone can appraise an item, it is important to find a reputable jeweler who has been accredited by the American Gem Society (AGS) to ensure you are trusting your valuables with a professional who has been meticulously trained and certified to appraise jewelry properly. The best way to determine this is to visit the AGS website and find an appraiser or look for CGA (Certified Gemologist Appraiser) after their name. Another point to note – some insurance companies do not accept appraisals that are 2 years or older. Make sure you ask your insurance company on their policy and how frequently they require updated appraisal documents. Michaels recommends you have your jewelry appraised every 3-5 years.
- The value of your jewelry can change. The precious metal market is just like the stock market – the value changes on a daily basis, sometimes slightly and sometimes drastically. The value of your jewelry can, in some cases, increase over time!
- Restyling or any change to your jewelry. After time, we may want to change up our jewelry, whether taking the center stone of a ring and making it into a pendant or perhaps changing up the setting to have a more modern look. Any time that you make an adjustment to your jewelry, you should have it re-appraised to the proper value of the item
- You can save 50%! Michaels Jewelers has an Appraisal Program, where if you have your piece appraised with us, you can have it re-appraised within 7 years at 50% off the cost of the appraisal
- Detect Damage – If it has been a while since your jewelry has been appraised or inspected by a professional, you may not realize that there has been damage to your jewelry. Aside from having your jewelry appraised every few years, visit a reputable, certified jeweler to inspect and professionally clean your jewelry at least every 6 months. You may not realize it, but at times prongs can shift in jewelry or cracks can form in the stones. By detecting the damage early on, they can be repaired before something worse happens – such as a stone falling out, in which you would need to go through your insurance. Inspection and cleaning is complimentary at any Michaels Jewelers location – so don’t wait!