July Ruby Birthstone
It’s officially summer and we’re excited to share the next gemstone in our birthstone highlight series! Referred to as the king of precious stones, ruby is the red variety of the mineral corundum.
Check out some fun facts about this stunning gemstone:
- Color is the most significant fact affecting a ruby’s value – fine gems are vibrant red to slightly purplish red
- Corundum may show a star effect, which usually appears as a six-ray star pattern across a cabochon-cut stone’s curved surface
- It’s the symbol of wealth and nobility
- Ruby is the gem for the 15th and 40th anniversaries
- It’s relatively hard, which means it’s a more durable gemstone and great for everyday wear
Caring for & cleaning rubies:
- Warm, soapy water is always safe
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are usually safe for untreated, heat-treated, and lattice diffusion treated stones
- Fracture-filled, cavity-filled, or dyed material should only be cleaned with a damp cloth
Ruby Style Inspiration
We’re loving this vibrant gemstone for summer whether it’s paired with a fun outfit to make a statement or kept simple to add a pop of color.
2. Keep is simple with this delicate ruby and diamond necklace
3. Hop on the vintage trend and mix and match styles – great for stacking or worn on their own
To learn more about rubies – check out the GIA article found here.